- condensed chicken stock like Knorr Homestyle Stock or Swanson Flavor Boost and 8 cups water
- or 8 cups chicken stock
- dry split peas- 1 lb
- leftover ham, diced or ham hock
- small onion- 1, peeled and diced
- carrots- 2, peeled and diced
- celery- 2 leafy stalks, trimmed and diced with leaves
- salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a soup pot and bring to a boil
- Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 hour until peas and ham are tender
- If using a ham hock, remove after one hour and discard bone and fat; chop meat and return to pot
- Simmer until desired consistency, adding more water or stock if desired
Reincarnate your Easter Ham leftovers into my favorite: Split Pea with Ham Soup.
Simply take one pound of split peas and combine minced onion, celery, diced carrots and leftover ham with 8 cups of chicken broth to simmer all day.
Email this to a Friend