Fun Halloween Family Dinner Recipe
- small to medium pumpkin- 1
- onion- 1/2, chopped
- fresh sliced mushrooms- 1 container
- vegetable oil- a few tablespoons
- ground beef- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs.
- ginger- 1 teaspoon
- soy sauce- 3 tablespoons
- brown sugar- 2 tablespoons
- cream of mushroom soup- 1 can
- sliced water chestnuts- 1 can, drained
- cooked long grain rice- 1 1/2 – 2 cups
- Wash off outside of the pumpkin.
- Cut off top of the pumpkin and save, and thoroughly clean out seeds and pulp.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and mushrooms in oil until tender.
- Add meat and brown with a little salt & pepper- drain drippings from skillet.
- Stir in ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar and soup.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked rice and water chestnuts.
- Spoon mixture into clean pumpkin shell.
- Replace pumpkin’s top.
- Place filled pumpkin onto a baking sheet.
- Bake one hour or until meat of the pumpkin is tender.
- Put pumpkin onto a serving plate, remove pumpkin “lid” and serve casserole!
- Make sure to scoop out and eat the cooked pumpkin – DELICIOUS! Enjoy!
For a quick cooking demonstration, check out this video from Toni Spilsbury, The Organized Cook.