My recipe for Mushroom White-Wine Shallot Sauce is part of my Toni’s 12 Days of Thanksgiving. It can be made well in advance before Thanksgiving and stored in the freezer.
Mushroom White-Wine Shallot Sauce Recipe (wine is optional)
Ingredients for Mushroom White Wine Sauce: (double this recipe for a large group)
- Butter-1/2 cup (1 stick or 8 tbspns)
- Sliced mushrooms- 1 bag
- Shallots- 2, peeled and minced
- Flour- 3 tbspns
- White wine, like cooking wine or a Chardonnay like Mirassou Chardonnay
- Chicken broth- 1 cup
- Heavy cream- 1 cup
- Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat
- Add shallots and mushrooms; saute until tender, approximately 3 minutes
- Add flour and saute for 1 more minute
- Add wine and stir until flour is dissolved (or skip if not using wine)
- Add broth and cream; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes
Store in airtight container until Thanksgiving Day to pour over steamed fresh green beans.
For fresh steamed green beans, they’re making it really easy for us these days. I use fresh ready-to-steam green beans that are found in the produce section that are washed and ready to steam in the bag in the microwave. Also, Bird’s Eye Steamfresh frozen green beans are easy to pull out of the freezer and cook in the microwave.
Or you can buy fresh green beans in bulk from the produce section to wash and trim yourself.
Warm the Mushroom White-Wine Shallot Sauce in the microwave or a slow-cooker to keep warm for serving.
Many people prefer the classic Green Bean Casserole. Here is a post I wrote last year about classic versus contemporary green bean recipes for Thanksgiving.